CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Whole Wheat Pizza Crust Recipe Review

Recipe review on whole wheat pizza crust

Ok, so I found this recipe on allrecipes and I loved it! The recipe has gotten 4 1/2 stars out of 5, and been reviewed by 313 people. This recipe will make 2 thin crust pizzas, or 1 thick crust. I made the two thin crust. The less bread I eat the better, because I love love bread and it does dangers to my diet, lol. The recipe is as follows, and here -->(pizza crust) is the original link so you can see all the nutrition and reviews

Amazing Whole Wheat Pizza Crust
submitted by: Marla

  • 1 teaspoon white sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

DIRECTIONS

  1. In a large bowl, dissolve sugar in warm water. Sprinkle yeast over the top, and let stand for about 10 minutes, until foamy.
  2. Stir the olive oil and salt into the yeast mixture, then mix in the whole wheat flour and 1 cup of the all-purpose flour until dough starts to come together. Tip dough out onto a surface floured with the remaining all-purpose flour, and knead until all of the flour has been absorbed, and the ball of dough becomes smooth, about 10 minutes. Place dough in an oiled bowl, and turn to coat the surface. Cover loosely with a towel, and let stand in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
  3. When the dough is doubled, tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and divide into 2 pieces for 2 thin crust, or leave whole to make one thick crust. Form into a tight ball. Let rise for about 45 minutes, until doubled.
  4. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Roll a ball of dough with a rolling pin until it will not stretch any further. Then, drape it over both of your fists, and gently pull the edges outward, while rotating the crust. When the circle has reached the desired size, place on a well oiled pizza pan. Top pizza with your favorite toppings, such as sauce, cheese, meats, or vegetables.
  5. Bake for 16 to 20 minutes (depending on thickness) in the preheated oven, until the crust is crisp and golden at the edges, and cheese is melted on the top.
So I followed the recipe how it said, and even set my timer for 10 mins to make sure it was kneaded enough. I let it rise and all that, and it was easy enough to work with that I rolled it with a rolling pin, and rolled up the edges a little to make an outside lip. The only thing is I think it needed more salt or seasonings, because it was a little bland for my taste. I baked it on some aluminum foil, because I have no pizza stone, and when it was set and halfway through I shoud have baked it on the rack to make the bottom more crisp. So, do that or use a pizza stone, or the bottom will not be crisp like it is supposed to. I topped mine with cheese, lean hamburger, onions, and green bell pepper, but use whatever you like! This recipe was easy enough for a beginner I think. Just make sure your yeast is not out of date and it froths when you let it sit for the 10 mins or it will not rise. Other than that I have no more tips! OH and hubby liked it enough for me to keep this as my main pizza crust recipe, he didn't even mind that it had wheat flour in it.

I am making whole wheat pitta bread tonight so of course that will be my next review, along with some french onion soup I made the other day that was awesome!!

0 comments: